Easy Food Hacks I Learned from TikTok

 

What doesn't TikTok have? Dances, memes, advice, and of course, food. In my latest YouTube video, I took to the kitchen to put to the test some of the best-looking food hacks I've found on TikTok.


The first hack I tried was the smiley face bread. This one is very simple, and I was fairly pleased with the results. You use your finger to press down and make indents in the bread in the shape of two eyes and a mouth. Because that part of the bread is indented, it doesn't get toasted to the same degree as the rest of the bread, so you're left with a smiley face.

It's a very cute hack that's great for parents of young kids, or even people in their twenties or thirties who are entertained by bread with a smiley face on it. No judgment here! It's easy to do and hard to mess up - my kind of hack!


The second hack is probably the most useful that I tried. If you need to butter your cute, smiley face toast, but your butter is cold, you can shred the butter to make it spread easily. It's a genius hack; the only problem with it being that your butter will likely get stuck to the shredder and you'll end up having to use more to make up for the butter you can't get off. It does make the butter easy to spread, though; so the intended task is still accomplished.

The next hack is essentially the easiest way to make grilled cheese. You divide a slice of cheese into four and stack all those mini-slices in the middle of two slices of bread. Next, you press down with a glass until the bread has sealed together and you peel off the excess. You now essentially have a cheese uncrustable, and since it's all sealed together, you're able to simply stick it in the toaster and wait for it to be done.

This was a very easy hack to do and the results were quite tasty. The only problem I ran into is that the sandwich is slightly thicker than a slice of toast and when I pushed the slider on my toaster down, it left the sandwich behind. I was able to poke the sandwich down into the toaster without a problem, but just be aware that you might run into that issue.


Next, I put to the test the quesadilla hack that is all over TikTok right now. Essentially, you make one cut halfway through the tortilla, and then put a different topping in each of the four quadrants. I did the pizza variation, so I put pizza sauce in the bottom left quarter, cheese in the upper left, diced ham in the upper right, and more cheese in the bottom right. Then, you fold it all into a triangle, like you see in the picture above, and heat it up in a pan.

This is definitely the hack that I had to most problems with. I don't know if it was because my tortilla was on the smaller side, if I simply overloaded it, or some combination of the two. As soon as I folded the last corner, cheese started spilling out, and as I cooked it, I lost a good amount of toppings and ended up with a very messy pizza quesadilla. That being said, it was probably the most delicious thing I made today, and I would definitely try it again. I might just leave off the second corner of cheese the next time I give it a shot.

The last hack I tried was the soda slushy. You shake up your soda (I know, if feels so wrong, right?), then you put it in the freezer for 3 hours and 15 minutes. When you take it out, it still looks liquid, but when you pour it out from the bottle, it turns into a slushy. 

No. Don't try it. To be fair, in the TikTok they used Coke, and I used Root Beer, so I don't know if that made a difference. Or maybe I did something else wrong. I'm not ruling out user error. But when I opened my soda, it exploded. Everywhere. And only about a quarter of the bottle turned slushy. Though, to be fair, that quarter was very tasty. But it definitely wasn't worth it.

What are your thoughts on these TikTok food hacks? Are any of these something you plan to try in the future? If you would like to see the full video of me trying these hacks, you can find it on my YouTube channel.

Comments